Sunday, July 04, 2004

Summer in LV

I haven't posted for a while - putting in long work days and somehow I just can't sit in front of the computer at home as well.
I noticed that several of the web sites I have been going to lately have disappeared - sorry to lose you, it was nice reading your thoughts and I will miss you all. Let me know if you return.
We went to the last free springtime concert last week -

It was a little warmer than the previous ones - probably started at around 101. But it still felt nice sitting on the grass and listening to music. Put on by the parks department. Thanks LV.
I have the privilege of getting to park in the shade at work. The parking garage only has room for about 50 cars, and there are almost 400 workers here. Most people get the dirt lot out back. Several people park in the paved lot next door, but they have gotten to calling the tow trucks about once a week, and usually two or three cars are hauled off before people hear about it and run out to save their cars.
This is a shot looking East from the third floor of the garage.

We're about a mile due east of the Strip, close to the Hilton. If you are in one of the hotels on the east side of the strip and have an east facing room this is probably very similar to what you will see.
There are usually a lot of pigeons nearby, and one has built a nest next to where I park.

The bird is getting big - probably will fly off this week.
I try to walk every evening, and always am interested in the views down the side streets. We are about three miles west of the strip, and looking down the streets as I walk I can see different hotels.

My camera doesn't work very well like this - but you can get the idea. Down one street is the Rio, with it's bright red neon. I think this is the back of the Frontier or the Stardust - can't see the signs and these hotels don't have big neon facing this way. It feels like I'm living in a strange place, with a jewel box of wonders appearing down between the trees. You can see that we don't have sidewalks here, and the lot just to the right has horse corrals, and they board three or four horses. I'll try to get out when it's light and get some shots of them.
We put in some raised beds for a veggie garden last winter. We are following the directions of the Tomato Lady, and are quite pleased with the results.

We've got about a half dozen plants of the variety Hawaiian Tropic, which she recommends for our heat. We've been getting tomatoes for a while now, and this basket full came off yesterday morning. I hope they last through the summer, as these are a lot better than what the store sells.



No comments: