Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday videos - the 80's

When working on my computer I usually listen to foreign radio stations. French and Swedish stations are among my favorites, because I don’t understand either language, and thus the commercials and DJ discussions are just more background music that doesn’t distract me. Recently though I’ve been listening to a New Zealand radio station a lot, probably because I like the accents of the DJs, and what they talk about is sometimes understandable.

On a show last week they played a remake of an ‘old’ New Zealand classic, the song Poi E recorded by the Patea Maori Club.


It’s got a good background beat, and a chorus I can sing along with. The video was made in the 80’s, and in one shot a girl in the background has a haircut that reminds me of that decade. The band that comes to mind when I see hair styles like that is Flock of Seagulls


But in that video it looks like they toned down the hair. But these guys had the cut


Without the hair, but another song that seems to come from the same period


OK, let’s finish up the 80’s with a little different style

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

Joe that is so interesting, when I was in an office job, I would listen to BBC Asian Network, something about listening to the radio from another country, it fascinates me!

Love the homage to 1980's music, I Ran, what a hoot!

Colleen Barnett said...

Joe you are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your music choices with us. I do love the Maori song. You will have to go visit there one day. We got married in Queenstown on the South Island, but the Maori heritage is mostly on the Northern Island, you will see it more as you go up.

Loved it! Thanks Joe! xxxx