Monday, November 05, 2007

Video Monday

Some old blues for you guys today, all due to a post by FirstNations. She remembers a life changing experience listening to John Lee Hooker singing ‘Bad Like Jesse James’. I have never heard the song before, but fortunately YT has it. And a nice writeup about him if you click and go there.


I remember him more from ‘One Bourbon, one scotch and one beer’. I went more for the fun songs.


While in college I was the student union social director. This meant that I got to spend a half a million dollars putting on the school concerts for the year. I had a great time, and got to meet one of my old favorites Dave Brubeck in his underwear (twice), but that’s a story for a different day. One of the things we did that year was to go off to a student union conference down in Texas. Some of the promoters had their groups there to show off, hoping for eventual bookings of course. The one I remember most was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. I just loved Sonny’s harmonica. He wore a vest with lots of pockets, and must have had a couple of dozen different sized harmonicas in there, which he kept switching between. When I saw them they were old farts, not as young as in the video. Could barely make it up on stage.


Almost made me go out and buy one, but it was college and there were other things in the way. I don’t think harmonicas were a big way to impress the girls, they were into guitars then. Don’t play one of those either.

No comments: