Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday music - New Zealand

I sit at the computer a lot, well, it is my job being a computer programmer, and usually have ear buds stuck in to mask background sounds and provide a source for music. I switch between all the stuff I have built up on my IPod and internet radio stations. I used to listen to a French station a lot but a while back I became hooked on Zed FM, a New Zealand station. I don’t know if it’s the different city names or the accents but whatever it is the morning crew are just amusing to me.

One of the other things that is different is the music. They play a lot of local NZ and Australian groups, ones that we don’t usually hear on my local Vegas stations. One of my favorite groups is called Flight of the Conchords, two guys that come up with some interesting things. Apparently they have a series on HBO (which I don’t pay for and thus miss all their neat programming) and on BBC radio. The latest song receiving a lot of air play is


A number of the artists played that I like have videos on YouTube, unfortunately most of them are set as embedding disabled, so you’ll have to click on some links to hear, but please do as the songs are nice and the videos interesting.

Adele - Chasing Pavement

Ladyhawke - My Delerium

Oh, here’s one I can link to. I like the way she pronounces things, kind of harks back to the nasal tones you hear in old recordings from the 20’s, Gin Wigmore.


Finally, she’s British and not from NZ, but they play a lot of her. I first saw Lily on Graham Norton’s show doing this show, and talking about an old boyfriend that was the inspiration for this song.
Lily Allen - Not Fair

No comments: