Thursday, September 09, 2004

More politics (ignore if you want)

Reading the paper and watching the tv news yesterday I was surprised at how little play was given to our 1,000 military death in Iraq. This morning's paper brought the new count up to 1,005, and at least the local paper had several articles on how these deaths affect the families involved.
I am appalled at how little people pay attention to our military volunteers dying for no apparent reason. Yes, I know that our president talks about how the world is safer today now that Saddam Hussein is no longer in charge, but you say that to the parents and wives and husbands and children of those 1,005 Americans (and growing at 2 a day) how much safer we are because they died. I really doubt that they would agree that it was worth it.
In April of 1971, in a statement before the Foreign Relations Committee, Kerry asked the committee: "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam? How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?" Hopefully he will get to pull these troops out before too many more have to continue to die. There have already been too many, and that country is still a mess, and I don't feel a bit safer because we are there.
Sorry, but I said it before, and feel that I haven't said it enough. My wife finally got me a Veterans for Kerry button that I wear to work. So far two people have been negative, and about two dozen positive. I explain it, and would rather talk than wait.
Sorry, no pictures here.

No comments: